The International Criminal Court – President Chile Eboe-Osuji
International Court of Justice – President Abdulqawi Ahmed Yusuf
United Nations Human Rights Council – Chairperson Elisabeth Tichy-Fisslberger
Council of the European Union – Secretary General Jeppe Tranholm-Mikkelsen
African Union – Chairperson Cyril Ramaphosa
Federal Government of the United States – President Donald Trump
Federal Government of Brazil – President Jair Bolsonaro
Government of Colombia – President Ivan Duque Marquez
Government of Indonesia – President Joko Widodo
Federal Government of Mexico – President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador
Government of the United Kingdom – Prime Minister Boris Johnson
GLOBAL PETITION: WE DEMAND JUSTICE FOR GEORGE FLOYD AND OTHER VICTIMS OF POLICE BRUTALITY IN THE GLOBE. WE DEMAND AN END TO SYSTEMIC RACISM IN THE GLOBAL AFRIKAN COMMUNITY.
We, the undersigned, are organizations of the ordinary Afrikan masses that cut across the Afrikan continent and the diaspora. We are pained by the continuing physical and psychological violence against the mass of people of Afrikan descent in the United States of America. Because the U.S.A prides itself as the upholder of freedom built on the American dream, we challenge that events over the centuries have proven this to be a serious myth. The mass of Afrikan people in that country collectively agrees that “There is no American Dream but American Nightmare” for them.
We, the undersigned, are convinced that there is indeed the unfinished business of slavery in the United States of America. In spite of the firing Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s, the American state had successively proven itself unwilling to integrate people of Afrikan descent into its social system. While we do not share any illusion in this, it exposes American democracy for what it is – hypocrisy. The over 400 years slave labour of the ancestors of the people of Afrikan descent in the U.S.A. built the wealth the country flaunts around today. In return, the mass of Afrikan Americans have had to endure, and still endure, inferiority complexity and systemic racism. Despite an overall 13% of the Afrikan Americans in the total population of the U.S.A., they are the most killed and molested by racist police officers.
We, the undersigned, are equally convinced that Afrikan Americans are disproportionately a major targets for the American racist capitalist system. Sequel to the inglorious history of slavery, people of Afrikan descent in that country suffers double-exploitation. Between 2013 and 2019 alone, 42 million Afrikan Americans were killed by the police. In addition to this, the U.S.A. prison system for decades have been generating massive revenues for the American state on the backs of the privatized labour of millions of imprisoned Afrikan Americans. People of Afrikan descent in the U.S.A. are currently the main victims of Covid-19 deaths because of the absence of quality healthcare facilities in their communities.
We, the undersigned, have no doubt that it was this trajectory that propelled the death of Mr. George Floyd on the 25th of May, 2020 in the hands of four racist police officers led by Mr. Derek Chauvin. Beyond the vicious circumstances that led to the death of late Mr. Floyd, the global Afrikan community is still at shock because the 25th of May symbolizes an annual rite, the Afrikan Liberation Day, wherein we remind ourselves of the history of our past struggles and get organized for recent struggles.
We, the undersigned, in lieu of this affront to our human dignity, and inspired by the consistent victory of truth over lies, have no doubt that in standing up and reasserting our human rights, we have more to achieve. We therefore make the following demands;
- We demand that the four police officers involved in the killing of Mr. Floyd, and those involved in the separate case of the assassination of Mrs. Breonna Taylor on the 13th of March, 2020, should be charged with murder and be tried openly and not behind closed doors. We will struggle for this demand because it has been reported that in more than 98% similar cases in the past, officers were neither suspended nor charged.
- We demand that all governments and global institutions, especially those in Afrika, which over the years have been indifferent, should act immediately by asserting the United Nations (UN) Charter on the “laws by which all people may live in dignity and rights to self-determination” in the U.S.A.
- We demand that the systemic racism that prevails in the United States, in the prison system, educational system, entertainment industry, sport, healthcare system, social services system, etc. be exposed and radically rehabilitated.
- We demand that the government of the United States of America should immediately avail the necessary resources for Afrikan Americans to begin the process of erecting the Greatest Holocaust – Slavery Memorial Monuments in that country. We have no doubt that this will serve as a rememberer to the enormity of the crimes of the European Slavery against the Afrikan people.
- We send our massive solidarity to every person, in respective of colour, organization, who are globally involve in the ongoing uprising against police brutality in the U.S.A. We however wish to state that under no circumstance should the slogan of Black Lives Matters be replaced with All Lives Matters. An attempt at this betrays a humanely comprehension of “What it is to be Black in America” and indeed globally.
- We ask that the ongoing uprising should incorporate the demand for structural reparations for slavery. Since the Jewish community was recompensed, enormously, for the grave crimes of the German soldiers under the leadership of Adolf Hitler, we see no reason why that of the global Afrikan community should be different. We ask the UN to immediately begin the process of concretizing an Afrikan Holocaust Memorial Day across the globe.
- We demand that the fascist, neoliberal government of Mr. Donald Trump be charged with “Incitement” for not only calling protesters “Thugs” but popularizing a very racist phrase – “When the looting starts, the shooting starts”. We ask that all American embassies across the world should be occupied by the working people until Trump is charged.
- We demand the repatriation of all stolen Afrikan artifacts that adorn Europe ASAP.
- We demand a total closure of all American military bases in Afrika. We totally condemn the subversive activities of the US-Africom on the Afrikan continent since 2007.
- Because we do not share any illusion whatsoever in the hegemony of the global finance capital institutions, which politically and culturally includes the UN, we are calling on all radical movements in the United States and indeed beyond, to mobilize all their forces and fight for the collapse of all components of the capitalist mode of production.
- We also call on all the Afrikan working people on the continent to rise up and defeat all fragments of systemic racism in their educational curriculum, economic policies, legal system, religious institutions, etc. Ultimately, only the birth of a Socialist Afrika, and the world at large, can fundamentally propel systems and institutions that will restore the human dignity of the Afrikan people.
- We lastly demand that the killings and repression of the human rights of people of Afrikan descent in places like Brazil, Mexico, West Papua, Colombia, under the watch of respective governments, must be exposed. We ask all members of the global Afrikan community to link their struggles against systemic racism with the overthrown of all neoliberal and capitalist governments.
Pan-Afrikan Consciousness Renaissance, Nigeria
Ebukhosini Solutions, South Africa
Naija Resistance Movement, Nigeria
All-African Peoples’ Revolutionary Party, Ghana
Revolutionary Socialist Vanguard, Nigeria
Movement for African Emancipation, Nigeria
Global Afrikan Congress, United Kingdom